Monday, March 7, 2011

I don't really have anything of much, or any, importance to report upon; but I feel like it's been much too long since I've reported anything. So, I suppose that I'll make up something to relay and report. Or, maybe I don't have to make anything up, I can just put a new spin on something. I have started cooking on my days off. Now, I'm really enjoying learning to cook new and different dishes. A few weeks ago I had a little dinner party. i had images of gourmet and delicious. As well as beautifully plated and so appetizing. None of those really came true. Except the gourmet. I decided that I'd make a veal dish. Now, I've never cooked veal before, but I was really excited about it. I got a recipe for veal scallopini. I totally botched it. I can't believe I ruined $50 of meat....but I did. I overcooked it. Like the one rule about beef is don't over cook it. I did. And, I made some delicious rice pilaf also. It tasted fantastic...but again it was overcooked from trying to keep it hot while company arrived. The one thing that totally turned out like I imagined was my nectarine tart. I love making sweets. I know how sugar contributes and what cinnamon, and all the other components of a sweet dish can really do for the end product. But, I don't get how many of the other spices change the flavor and integrity of a dish. Anyway, dinner didn't turn out at all like I expected. But, I did enjoy making and learning. And, the company was great. Since then I've also made a cream of garlic soup. mmmm. so tasty. The recipe calls for 4 head of garlic, and 4 onions and an entire loaf of french bread. It was so great. I also made a chocolate liqueur cake. It didn't turn out quite like I imagined, but I'll give it another go. I mean, really what else am I gonna do with all the left over liqueur? When I get the cake to turn out I'll top it with a delicious cream cheese white chocolate frosting with raspberry sauce. Oy, I salivate just thinking about the potential. Or the disaster. After I master that I've got nothing on the docket.... so for my 4 readers out there I would love recommendations, requests, and suggestions. I can make it and let you know if it was worth it and then you don't have to waste effort, time or ingredients. I'll do all the testing.  I expect the ideas to start rolling in asap

No comments: