Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Summer of 08!!!




Well, here I sit in Southeast Alaska. My friend Mike has made a few songs about our happenings. Actually it is only one song it is just continuous. The same two chords. He just sings many many verses. One that continues to stick in my head is "it's another rainy day in Southeast A-K." I have been horrible at writing in my journal, and that only benefits me. So, maybe if I know that this will be read by actual people instead of the imaginery 'prosperity' of my supposed future it will keep me writing and updating. I'm here with a great friend, Whitney, her two siblings Josh and Sydney. We're trying to keep it real while earning a little cash too.

I have had an awesome time here in Juneau. It is everything I ever could have imagined. We got into town did our drug test as soon as we stepped off the plane...before we would have any time to taint our samples. By that evening we had some instant friends and a new vehicle. Lil' Blue. He's sexy as well as tempermental. I wouldn't have it any other way though. He totally complete's the image I had of what my Alaskan experience would be. We then drove home....to our nice half of a double wide in a sweet little trailer park conveniently located next to Costco, and the prison. I was walking one evening and stumbled across a lot of razor wire fencing. There I was standing at the Juneau Prison. Awesome, just means the police drive by on an hourly period. Then, I found out the other awesome fact....all my neighbors are half way houses located for easy drug testing at the facility around the corner. I love my ghetto meth lab district!!!

So far I've done some really stellar things. We hiked Fish Creek. Whitney pretended that we were Lewis and Clark. Well, we found this old beached boat and needed to go and explore it. The only thing that was holding us back was a river. It was shallow, slow enough that we could have easily forded it. Shoes and socks were thrown off and I start the trek to cross the creek. About half way through my eyes are teared up because it is so cold that I'm not remembering to blink. Whitney is behind me telling me to hurry up. I get 3/4 of the way across and realize that because my eyes are watery I can't see how deep the water was getting and I was getting into the main channel of the waterway. We made an executive decision to turn around and return to safety. Mainly because there was no way we would want to get back into that water. When we were back on solid ground it took about another 5 minutes for feeling to return to my feet. Lesson learned-don't try to ford across a runoff river in Alaska. It will end poorly. Zipling and hiking have become passions of mine up here. Also, sneaking into salmon bakes. We have decided on a weekly ritual-the foreign film every Tuesday night at the local bagel shop, The Silverbow. Aweseom bages and a free movie can't be beat.

I celebrated my birthday this week. It was the first one that I really spent away from home. I loved it. I woke up and then Whitney and my boss had set up a day of river rafting. So fun!!! We went to the Mendenhall glacier and then floated the water that ran off into the river. Afterwards I got all dressed up and we went to dinnerat the Twisted Fish with 20 of my closest Juneau friends. I was treated to king crab legs. They were so delicious. Thanks again Steve!!!

Work here is radical. I work as a ramp rat at a helicopter company. I fuel the aircraft and get our tourists ready to go up. Sometimes it can be monotonous, but really, who fuels helicopters for a summer job? I love my co workers too. It is a party all the time.

No comments: