Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Home Stretch


So, before I conclude this summer of adventure and awesomeness I need to touch up on one huge event while I was in Alaska.

Well, we found ourselves with a weekend off, a few extra dollars in our wallets (how? I have no idea) and a hookup with the local airline. So Whit, Steve, Randy, Neal and I decided we needed to get out of Juneau. We booked a plane and flew up to Skagway-about 100 miles north of Juneau. Once there it was great. We had access to the rest of the world. We could drive and drive and drive. FANTASTIC!!!!! We had new found freedom and we needed to take advantage of that. Randy and Neal rented a car and off we went. Up to Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. New experience for all of us. None of us had been to the Yukon before and 2 of us had never been to Canada. We called ahead since none of us had anything to cross the border with. They told us not to even try. We tried. And, succeeded. It was great. As soon as we crossed the border the skystarted to clear up and it turned into blue skies and 80 degrees outside. Awesome. The White Pass was so gorgeous. When we were in Skagway we were the total and complete tourists that we all despise so much. We took as many stupid pictures as we could, acted as idiotic as possible (okay, just the pictures part was true). I also ate Caribou. It was delicious, and I would love to go back just to redo the experience. Well, as we drove home the clouds sunk in as we crossed back over the border. As light as I felt before I felt equally heavy and bogged down by the return of the grung clouds. Aaaaaggggggh, it was horrid to be back. Then, the flight back into Juneau topped things off. I was stuck again, I had just spent the most awesome weekend in the sun with my four favorite people in Juneau. It was spectacular.
Well, that having been said.....I'll start the end of the summer of AK. After a week long stint in Arizona Whit and I ended the Summer just as we started it. In the SLC airport nervous and anxious. The difference in the two was neither of us are excited to end it. Back to the world and life of the Utah bubble. Before we came back I did do round III of Hawley lake. And, just as spectacular and fun as the previous two rounds. It was a good transition stage. Sadly enough it wasn't enough of a stage to really fulfill the needs of our transition from Neverland. What's next on my adventure agenda? South America, Turkey, Mexico, India? Stay tuned for the next installment

No comments: